The Importance of Roof Cleaning: All You Need To Know. The roof is arguably one of the most important components of a home. A poorly maintained roof not only affects the curb appeal of your home but can also compromise its structural integrity. You don’t want your home to look dingy and unappealing because of a dirty and poorly maintained roof. Besides aesthetics, a dirty roof can lead to major roofing problems in the future that may prove to be too expensive to fix.
Things That Can Damage Your Roof
It is not just dirt and debris that can collect on your roof. Since it is constantly exposed to harsh elements every day, a lot of other stuff can accumulate on your roof that can affect its visual appeal, performance, and longevity. Let’s take a look:
- Algae – The black stains on your roof are nothing but gloeocapsa magma – a form of algae. On the roof, GM algae thrive on cool, shaded, and moist regions. They usually occur on limestone and asphalt roofing, and severely reduce the structural strength of your roofing system over time. GM algae are more likely to be found on the sides of the roof that are not much exposed to the sun.
- Lichens – A combination of fungus and algae, lichens are mostly seen in high humidity areas of the roof. Lichens can branch down to the base of shingles for nourishment. That makes them really hard to remove. They also have a high tendency to reappear after heavy rainfall.
- Moss – An actual plant, moss requires a lot of moisture to survive. Furthermore, moss can easily spread to the interiors of a home or even to other houses in the neighborhood. If left unattended for a long time, moss spores may also cause health problems to the people living in the home.
Common Types of Roof Damages:
Algae, fungus, and moss growth on your roof can lead to extensive damage on your roof through wood rot and shingle damage, shortening the lifespan of your roofing system. Professional Roof cleaning services from trusted experts like Roof Crafters can help you avoid all these expensive repairs and structural issues at a fraction of the cost.
- Damage to Shingles – if you’ve asphalt or limestone roofing, algae bacterium can severely deteriorate your shingles, creating holes and pores on the roof that can result in leaks. Moss growth can cause edges of the shingles to curl or lift. Algae can also absorb a lot of heat that can increase the temperature inside your attic. This high temperature can heat the shingles from the underside, reducing their strength even further.
- Wood – Wood rot can be challenging to spot because the signs are not that obvious to inexperienced homeowners. Therefore, you need to have your roof inspected regularly and right after a long spell of rain from experienced roofing professionals. Moss tends to hold water that can make your roofing system more prone to leaks and wood rot. This rotting may dramatically reduce the life expectancy of your roof and propagate the growth of mold, posing a serious threat to the life of occupants and their pets.
The Way Forward
Make sure to contact trusted and reliable roofing experts whenever you notice any signs of roof damage, leaks, or any unwanted growth on your roof, ceiling, and interiors of your home.
Experienced roofers like Roof Crafters use professional cleaning equipment and tools to safely remove all the dirt, debris, and microbial growth from your roof to give it a new lease of life.
To learn more about our Baton Rouge, and Hammond, LA roofing services, call us at 225-667-1189 or visit our website to fill our online contact form. We will be happy to offer you a no-obligation estimate as well as a FREE in-home consultation to understand your roofing needs better.