If you’re asking yourself, “Are there any new roofing trends for 2023,” Let Louisiana Roof Crafters keep you in the know! When selecting a new roof for your home this year, make sure to stay up to date with current trends to ensure you make an informed decision. The good news is that there is a huge variety of excellent products available that you can consider for your new roof.
When it comes to roofing materials, you can choose from asphalt, wood, composite shingles, clay, slate, and concrete tiles, among others. However, always keep in mind that while style is a crucial factor, other elements such as product cost, installation requirements, and material weight are also important when choosing the best option for your home.
Roofing Terminology: How Roofs Are Measured?
If you’re planning to replace your roof in 2023, make sure you understand the terminology used by professional roofers. Before discussing materials, let’s help you understand a few key terms.
Roofers use “squares” as a basic measurement unit to measure roofs. One square equal 100 sq ft of area or 10 feet wide by 10 feet space.
For instance, if you have a 2,000-square-foot, two-story home, which has a gable roof, the roofing area will likely be around 15 squares or 1500 sq. ft. By understanding these basic terms, you’ll be better equipped to choose the best roofing option for your home.
How Much Does a New Roof Cost?
Several factors that will impact the overall cost of your roofing project. While the material used will be a prominent factor, other elements such as the current state of your roof, its shape, and the supporting structures will also influence the cost.
For instance, gable roofs that lack breaks in their plane will require less work, making their installation a simpler and more affordable job. On the other hand, a roof with multiple features like chimneys, valleys, skylights, or turrets will require more complex work and thus comes at a higher cost.
How to Choose the Best Roof for Your Home? The Top Options
The fact is that every roof is unique. Therefore, we recommend the following steps:
- Evaluate your roof’s structure and slope to determine what materials should be used.
- Discuss your options with your roofing contractor and get quotes.
Below are some of the most popular roofing materials to consider:
1. Asphalt: This is certainly the most popular roofing material out there, mainly due to its affordability and easy installation. While standard asphalt shingles are the least expensive, laminated shingles offer an attractive textured appearance and typically last about 25 years and even beyond with proper maintenance.
2. Metal: Metal roofs, such as aluminum, copper, steel, lead, and copper-with-asphalt are durable and long-lasting. While they are more expensive than other options, they can be a good investment in the long run.
3. Wood: For centuries, wood has been a popular roofing material due to its classic look and durability. However, fire codes may prohibit its use in several areas. Cedar, redwood, and southern pine are some of the most common types of wood shingles, which have a lifespan of around 25 years. However, on the downside, these shingles cost approximately twice as much as asphalt shingles.
4. Tile and Cement: Tile is a popular roofing option in mission styles and Spanish Colonial style homes. While all these options are durable, long-lasting, and visually appealing, they tend to be quite heavy and expensive. The good news is that if you’re on a tight budget, you can consider some metal and cement options that can mimic the tile’s wavy effect.
5. Slate: Slate is one of the most durable roofing materials on the market and can last over 100 years. These qualities make it a good long-term investment. On the flip side, it is also among the most expensive options, with prices starting at around $800 per square. Furthermore, slate is also very heavy and may require additional structural support.
Looking For a New Roof? Get In Touch
If you’re planning to install or replace your home’s roofing system this year, make sure to keep in mind the latest trends for optimum aesthetic appeal and long-lasting protection for your home. That’s why it is so important to hire experienced and dedicated professionals in the industry, like Louisiana Roof Crafters.